Join as Faculty
The Department of Materials Engineering at Indian Institute of Science (IISc), is looking for bright and motivated candidates to join as faculty members on tenure track positions. IISc, being an Institute of Eminence, welcomes candidates with citizenship of any country. Women candidates are encouraged to apply. The recruitment cycle is open year-round. This document provides some information for the candidates interested to apply for a position in the department.
Why the Department of Materials Engineering at Indian Institute of Science?
The Department of Materials Engineering at IISc is 75 years old now (earlier known as Department of Metallurgy), and has a rich legacy of shaping research and teaching in the area of Materials Science and Engineering in India. It has contributed significantly to the growth of strategic sectors of national importance like atomic energy, space and defence. The faculty members are recipients of the most prestigious awards, and fellows of the national and international academies. The department has UG, Masters and PhD programs. The students admitted to the department are selected through a rigorous process and are among the best in the country.
The department hosts state of the art experimental and computational facilities for research. The department also cherishes its association with centres of excellence spread around the campus.
IISc has a unique reputation of providing a vibrant academic atmosphere wherein faculty and students freely interact across disciplines and departments to work on challenging problems. The unique culture of the institute provides a very independent domain for every faculty member to flourish. The Institute is also very unique in giving large start-up grant to new faculty members. Moreover, the scholarship of all the research students admitted to the institute is centrally funded.
Eligibility criteria for applicants
- PhD degree in Materials Science and/or Engineering or a closely related discipline.
- Post-doctoral research/industrial experience
In principle, all areas of experimental and computational materials science and engineering are accommodated in the department. At present, the following areas will gain preference:
- Advanced and Sustainable Manufacturing, including Additive Manufacturing
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, as applied to Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Behavior of Materials, including High Temperature Materials
- Corrosion and Electrochemistry
- Physical Metallurgy
- Process Metallurgy
- Bio-inspired Materials and Biomedical Application of Materials
- Electronic and magnetic materials
Please fill an online application form using the link:
Please visit the following sites for other relevant information.
- General Information for faculty candidates: https://yrm.iisc.ac.in/YRM-Questions-Answers-v5-July-29-2019.pdf
- Information regarding campus life: https://www.iisc.ac.in/about/faculty-corner/