Prof. Brahm Prakash Chair
Brahm Prakash was born on 21 August 1912 at Lahore. He obtained his B.Sc.(Hons.) degree in 1932, M.Sc. in 1934 and Ph.D. in physical chemistry in 1942 from the Punjab University. Subsequently, he obtained his Sc.D. in Metallurgy from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, U.S.A in 1949. After returning to India he served at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore from 1951 to 1957, at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Bombay from 1957-1972 and at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Trivandrum from 1972 to 1982. While the tasks at these institutions called for different skills, they all posed challenges of a high order. Dr. Prakash discharged them with distinction and has left a rich legacy of scientific and administrative leadership.
At the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Professor Brahm Prakash was the first Indian Head of the Department of Metallurgy. He laid the foundations for an excellent centre for metallurgical education and research in the country.
In order to commemorate the services of Professor Prakash, the community of metallurgists and materials scientists and technologists has taken several steps:
- A Professor Brahm Prakash Chair has been endowed at the Indian Institute of Science.
- A Professor Brahm Prakash Medal has been instituted at the Department of Metallurgy to be awarded to the best graduate student.
- A memorial lecture series has been arranged since 1985 by the Bangalore Chapter of IIM. The Trivandrum Chapter of IIM has also instituted a similar lecture series.
- The Kalpakkam Chapter of IIM conducts the Prof. Brahm Prakash Materials Quiz for school students (12th standard).
- The Indian National Science Academy (INSA) has instituted the Prof. Brahm Prakash Medal to be awarded for significant contributions in the area of materials science and engneering.
List of Chairs
|2016||Prof. David P. Field, Washington State University, USA|
|2016||Prof. Jian-Zhang Jiang, Zhejiang University, China|
|2016||Prof. Kannan M. Krishnan, University of Washington, USA|
|2015||Prof. Tamas Ungar, Eötvös University, Budapest, Hungary|
|2014||Prof. Yunzhi Wang, The Ohio State University, Ohio, USA|
|2014||Prof. Narendra B. Dahotre, University of North Texas, Texas, USA|
|2013||Prof. Do Hyang Kim, Yonsei University, South Korea|
|2013||Prof. Llorca Martinez, Polytechnic University of Madrid, Spain|
|2013||Prof. Ganpati Ramanath, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, NY, USA|
|2012||Prof. Lars E. Arnberg, Norwegian University of Science & Technology, Norway|
|2012||Prof. John Banhart of Helmholtz-Centre, and Technical University, Berlin, Germany|
|2011-12||Prof. A.D. Rollett, Carnegie Mellon University|
|2010||Prof. S. Chandrasekar, Purdue University, USA|
|2010||Prof. Tanguy Rouxel, Universite de Rennes, France|
|2009||Prof. Dr.-Ing. Gunther Eggeler, Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany|
|2007||Prof. Subhash Mahajan, Arizona State University, USA|
|2005-06||Prof. R. Ramesh, Univ. of California, USA|
|2004||Prof. Subra Suresh, MIT, Cambridge, USA|
|2003||Prof. Subhash Chander, Penn State University, USA|
|2001||Prof. Brij M. Moudgil, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL|
|2000||Prof. T.R. Anantharaman, National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi, India|
|2000||Prof. R.R. Tummala, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia, USA|
|1996||Prof. S. Ashok, Penn State University, USA|
|1994||Prof. A.K. Mukherjee, University of California, Davis, USA|
|1992||Prof. M.A. Dayananda, Purdue University, Lafayette, USA|
|1990||Prof. P. Somasundaran, Columbia University, New York, USA|
Prof. R. R. Tummala Grant
Prof. R. R. Tummala, Pettit Professor in Electronic Packaging, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA, who was the Brahm Prakash Visiting Professor, expressed his desire to institute Professor R. R. Tummala Fund under the terms and conditions as given below.
He has also made a contribution of US $2,500/- through Bank of America cheque as well as a cash donation of Rs.67,531/-.
- From the financial contribution made by Prof. R. R. Tummala, Distinguish Alumnus Awardee (1997) of the Indian Institute of Science, a fund will be established at IISc and operated by the Chairman, Department of Metallurgy, IISc.
- The objective of this fund is to foster research in electronic materials at IISc via student visits to the Georgia Institute of Technology at Atlanta, USA. This will lead to archival publications with co-authorship between the two institutions.
- The interest from the fund will be utilized for a partial travel grant to the student. It is expected that the remaining cost of the travel will be raised through the resources of the Department/IISc/Government of India.
- The student is expected to spend 3 to 6 months in the USA. Living expenses in the USA will be from the resources at the US end.
- The selection of the students will be done by a Committee of 3 Professors with the Chairman of the Department as the Chairman of the Committee. The final name will be announced under intimation to Prof. Tummala.
- The terms and conditions of the operation of this fund will be reviewed every three years and may be suitably modified after mutual consultations.
Prof. R. M. Mallya Processing Award
Dr. S. C. Deevi, an alumnus of our department, gave a donation of US$ 1000 in 1991 and desired that an Annual Award be instituted in the name of Prof R. M. Mallya, his research supervisor and given in the area of Materials Processing.
- The award shall be known as the Prof. R. M. Mallya Materials Processing Award.
- The award will be made annually (for the academic session August to July) for the best thesis in the area of materials processing. Both Ph D and M Sc (Engg ) theses will be considered.
- A three member committee will scrutinize all the theses in a given academic year and supporting documents and recommend one name to the Chairman of the Department.
- The award will be a cash prize of INR 5000 plus a certificate.
- The award conditions and the names of recipients will be posted on the Dept web pages.
- The award ceremony may coincide with one of the functions of the department such as the Annual Students' Symposium. It is preferable that the awardee is presnt at the function to receive the award.
- Prof. R. M. Mallya will be notified and invited every year when the award is presented.
List of awardees
|2002||Dr. D. Santhiya|
|2001||Dr. B. Srinivasa Rao|
|2000||Ms. Dheepa Srinivasan & Mr. C. S. Karthikeyan|
|1999||Ms. T. Bhatia|
Hubert I. Aaronson Fellowship
The Hubert I. Aaronson Fellowship has been instituted to enable outstanding, young scientists from anywhere in the world (preferably below the age of 45) working in areas related to phase transformations to spend up to 1 month at the department.
Nominations may be received from any faculty member at IISc. We are delighted to welcome Dr. Balamuralikrishna, scientist at Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL), as the first Aaronson fellow. Dr. Balamuralikrishna works in the area of atom probe field ion microscopy and TEM and their application to microstructural evolution in Ni-based superalloys and steels.
List of Fellows
|2015||Prof. Eun Soo Park, Seoul National University, Republic of Korea|
|2015||Prof. Philip Eisenlohr, Michigan State University,USA|
|2013||Dr. Sandip Ghosh Chowdhury, National Metallurgical Laboratory, Jamshedpur|
|2012||Dr. Sandip Ghosh Chowdhury, National Metallurgical Laboratory, Jamshedpur|
|2012||Prof. Martin Wagner, Chemnitz University of Technology,Germany|
|2010-11||Dr. R. Balamuralikrishnan, DMRL, Hyderabad|
Dr. Karra Narasimha Murthy Medal
Sri. K. V. Subba Rao, gave a donation of INR 1,00,000 in November 2002 and desired that an Annual Award be instituted in the name of his brother Dr. Karra Narasimha Murthy who was a student of BE, ME and PhD in the department of Materials Engineering during 1964-72 and also a faculty member in the department up to May 1974.
Accordingly, the Institute considered the request and a Karra Narasimha Murthy Memorial Medal was instituted. This medal will be awarded to the student for best M.Sc.(Engg) thesis.
List of Awardees
|Academic Year||Name of the student|
PS: The award was not considered during the academic years 2003-04, 2006-07, 2008-09 and 2009-10, as the number of MSc(Engg) students were less than 5.
Manish Narayan Memorial Endowment Fund
Manish Memorial Endowment Fund was initiated in the name of Mr. Manish Narayan with the objective of providing a young research scholar from the Department of Materials Engineering (formerly Metallurgy), IISc, international research exposure by supporting him/her to attend an international conference for presenting a paper.
Manish Narayan was an M.E (I) student from the Department of Metallurgy, IISc, between 1989 – 1993. His field of interest was Composites and he did his final ME project with Prof M.K. Surappa. After his graduation he had a short stint with Titan Industries, where he worked on the ‘Tanishq’ range of jewellery watches. He then went to pursue a Doctorate in NJIT & later on shifted to Lehigh. His promising academic career came to an end, when he passed away in a tragic car accident at Tennessee, USA on July 29th 1996 on his way back from Atlanta Olympics.
In the IT / communication era, with monetarily attractive software jobs all around, there were not even 15% graduates from the Department of Metallurgy who went on to pursue their career in Metallurgy. But Manish was one among those 15%.
Many of his batchmates came together to institute a fund in his name at the Department of Metallurgy, IISc, to cherish his memory and also to promote a strong research culture among students working in this area.
All students of the Department of Metallurgy are encouraged to apply for this award.
The award is open to all academic students of the Department of Materials Engineering.
The canditate should have the paper authored or co-authored by him/her accepted in a conference / workshop / symposium / seminar. Preference is to be given to international events.
Selection Criteria: The following criteria may be followed for the selection – Merit, Standard of the conference and Need. The amount of the standard award is decided by the Department from time to time. At present it stands at a maximum of Rs. 25,000. The award can be shared by more than one person, in which case, the amount of the award may be decided by the selecting authority. A student is normally eligible to receive this award only once during their tenure at IISc.
List of Awardees
Mr. Biswaranjan Dash (KS)
Mr. Chandra Shekhar P
Ms. Divyasaree C. Prabhakaran (SS)
Ms. Priyanka Kantibhai Agrawal (DB)
Mr. Rajeev J Mudakavi (AMR)
Ms. Rani Rohini
Mr. Rajib Kalsar
Mr. Shanoob B (DB)
Mr. Subham Mridha (KS)
Mr. Atanu Chaudhuri (SSU)
Ms. Khadija Kanwal Khanum (PCR)
Ms. Kiruthika P (AP)
Ms. Priti Xavier (SSB)
Ms. Sangeeta Santra P (AP)
Mr. Saravanan S (PCR)
Mr Sri Raghunath Joshi (KS)
Mr. K.S. Vinay (DB)
Mr. K. Ajay Kumar (RRN)
Mr. Arun Dhumal Rao (RRN)
Ms. Ashwini N Mallya (PCR)
Mr. Chandra Sekhar Tiwary (KC)
Ms. V. Kothai (RRN)
Ms. Krishna R (AMR)
Mr. G.R. Krishna Yaddanapudi (DB)
Mr. Midhun Ben Thomas (AMR)
Mr. Rajasegaran E (AMR)
Mr. Rajendra Kurapati (AMR)
Mr. Soumitra Roy (KS)
Ms. Soumya S. Bhat (URM)
Mr. Badari Narayana Aroor Rao (RRN)
Mr. Gaurav Singh (URM)
Mr. G. Hariprasad (AHC)
Mr. Kirtiman Deo Malviya (KC)
Ms. Nagamani Jaya B (VJ)
Mr. Rajesh Korla (AHC)
Mr. Ranjith K (PCR)
Mr. Satyajit Gupta (PCR)
Mr. Shailesh Kumar Singh (KC)
Mr. Shyam Kanta Sinha (KC)
Mr. Surendra Kumar. M (KC)
Mr. Venkata Vamsi Koruprolu (KS)
Mr. S. Anandhakumar (AMR)
Mr. R. Lakshmi Narayan (URM)
Ms. Maya Kini K (AHC)
Mr. Olu Emmanuel Femi (KC)
Mr. Praveena M (VJ)
Mr. Shibayan Roy (SSU)
Mrs. Sudha J. (SK)
Mr. Korimilli Eswara Prasad (URM)
Mr. Madhavan Radhakrishnan (SSU)
Ms. Soma Prasad (AP)
Mr. Soupitak Pal (VJ)
Mr. Arindam Paul, (VJ)
Ms. Divya V.D (AP,URM)
Mr. Rajdip Mukherjee (TAA)
Ms. Indrani Sen (URM)
Mr. Santonu Ghosh (AHC)
Mr. Debdutt Patro
Ms. Aditi Datta
Mr. M.P Gururajan
Ms. Krishani Biswas
Mr. Murali P
Mr. Partha Patra
Mr. L. Saravanan
Mr. Saswata Bhattacharyya
Mr. Sibasis Acharya
Ms. Tripti Biswas
Mr. Ravisankar Kottada
Mr. Rejin Raghavan
Mr. Satya Swaroop
Ms. Victoria Bhattacharya
Ms. T.V. Anuradha
Mr. M.P Gururajan
Mr. B. Sudheer
Ms. Victoria Bhattacharya