Department of Materials Engineering
Indian Institute of Science
Tel: +91-80-2293 xxxx
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 2013-16
Thesis: Rheoprocessing of Aluminium alloys using cooling slope technique
- M.Tech., Industrial Metallurgy, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India, 2008-10
Thesis: Mechanical properties and Fracture studies on Ultra Fine Grained 7075 Al alloy under different loads
- B. Tech., Mechanical Engineering, WBUT (Institute: Kalyani Govt. Engineering College), Kalyani, India, 2004-08
Thesis:A Study on Machinability of P/M Iron and MMC(Al + 20% SiC)
- Assistant Professor; Materials Engineering Department, IISc Bangalore, India; June 2022 – Present.
- Principal Scientist; CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, Durgapur, India, Aug' 2018- May' 2022.
- Senior Scientist; CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, Durgapur, India, Aug' 2014- Aug' 2018.
- Scientist; CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, Durgapur, India, Aug' 2010- Aug'2014.
- Assistant Professor (Honorary); Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (CMERI campus), India, Jan' 2019- July' 2021.
- Associate Professor (Honorary), Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (CMERI campus), India, Aug' 2021- May' 2022.
ONGOING / COMPLETED PROJECTS
- Design, analysis and development of Rheo gravity die cast Al-15Mg2Si-4.5Si composite brake disc for automobile application (Funded by SERB-TETRA) (March’ 2022 to March’ 2024) (Role: PI)
- Design and Development of Tooth colored Ceramic Dental Braces set by Micro-Ceramic Injection Moulding (Funded by DST-Science andSociety division under “SYST” scheme) (Feb’ 2020to Feb’ 2023) (Role:PI)
- Design, analysis and development of Rheo gravity die cast Al-15Mg2Si-4.5Si composite based light weight Bucket links for Mining Excavators (Funded by Ministry of Mines) (Aug’ 2021 to Aug’ 2023) (Role: PI)
- Setting up of “Advanced Manufacturing and Materials Processing” laboratory at Dept. of Materials Engineering, Indian Institute of Science Bangalore (Funded by IISc Bangalore) (Jun’ 2022 to Jun’ 2023) (Role: PI)
- Compocasting of A356-MWCNT alloy composite targeting structural application (Approved project, to be Funded by CSIR-HRDG) (Jan’ 2021 to May’ 2022) (Role: PI)
- Development of Stirrcast heat sink out of Al-Si-MWCNT alloy composite for Thermal management of high power LEDs (Funded by DST- Nanomission) (April’ 2019 to May’ 2022) (Role: PI)
- Rheo-pressure die casting of Al-Mg2Si-Si composite. (Funded by DST-SERB) (July’ 2014-July’ 2018) (Role: PI)
- Development of Net shape Alumina Dental Brackets by Ceramic Injection Moulding. (Funded by DST- Science and Society division under “SYST” scheme) (Aug’ 2015- Aug’ 2018) (Role: PI)
- Facility for Rheo-pressure die casting. (Funded by DST- TSDB) (Nov’ 2010 to Nov’ 2014) (Role: Co-PI)
- Phase field modelling of Microstructure evolution of Rheo Cast Billets. (CSIR) (Mar’ 2011 to Mar’ 2013) (Role: PI) 7. Development of porous Nickel wick through MIM route. (Funded by ISRO) (Jul’ 2008 to Sep’ 2011) (Role: Co-PI) 8. Rheo Pressure Die Casting of Al-Mg Alloy Composite. (Funded by CSIR) (Mar’ 2012 to Mar’ 2017) (Role: Co-PI) 9. Development of hypereutectic Al-Si alloy with superior chemical composition for auto engine piston application (Funded by CSIR) (Mar’ 2012 to Mar’ 2017) (Role: Team Member)
- Facility for Clean Coal Research and Development (Funded by CSIR) (Nov’ 2017-Sept’2018) (Role: PI)
- Capetown, South Africa, 8-11th October’ 2012. (Purpose: Paper presentation at S2P 2012 conference).
- KTH, Sweden and Aalto University, Finland, 20 - 23rd May’ 2013. (Purpose: Paper presentation at CSSCR2013 conference).
NOTABLE AWARDS / HONOURS / RECOGNITIONS / ACHIEVEMENTS
- SERB Technology Translation Award (SERB-TETRA) - 2022, awarded by the SERB (India).
- "Er. M. P. Baya National Award – 2021" in "Mechanical Engineering", awarded by the Institution of Engineers (India).
- "INAE Young Engineer Award2020" under "Mechanical Engg." Category & "INAE Young Associate" since 2021.
- "CSIR Young Scientist Award2017" in the "Engineering Sciences" category.
- "Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) Young Scientist Award2019" under "Engineering Sciences" category.
- "Institution of Engineers India (IEI) Young Engineer Award2019" under "Mechanical Engineering" category.
- "Indian Institute of Metals (IIM) Young Metallurgist Award 2019" under "Non Ferrous" category.
- "Dr R L Thakur Memorial Award for Young Scientists– 2020” fromIndian Ceramic Society.
- “MRSI Young Scientist” award by Materials Research Society of India, 12th September’ 2014.
- 'Speaker of the Day' at Therma Comp 2018, held at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, from 9-11 July 2018.
- Award grant under the "Scheme for Young Scientists and Technologists" of SEED division, DST, 2015 & 2018.
- Acta Metallurgica Sinica (English Letters) (Springer) "Excellent article Award 2016".
- Recieved Foreign Travel Grant from ISTAD (CSIR), 2012 & ITS (SERB), 2013.
- "Certificate of Excellence" award by Indian Institute of Metals (Durgapur Chapter), 30th Oct' 2012.
- Obtaining 1st rank in the department (M.Tech 2010 batch, IIT Roorkee).
SPECIALIZED RESEARCH AREAS
Light Metals/Composites and Manufacturing processes, Casting & Solidification, Injection moulding of ceramics, metal and polymers, Manufacturing process modelling, Powder Metallurgy, Bio-inspired manufacturing, Mechanics of Light alloys
Book/Monograph: 03, Book Chapter: 01, International Journals (Published): 40, Invited lectures + Contributed presentations: 69, Technical reports of research projects: 15, Citations: 557, Hindex: 20, I10-index: 15 (as per Google scholar database) Weblink: https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=02gn9uQAAAAJ&hl=en</li>
- Das, P.; Maiti, A.: Gravity cast in-situ Al-15Mg2Si-4.5Si composite and a process thereof. Submitted as: Indian Patent (Application No 201811015624, application date 25.04. 2018)
- Das, P.; Das, P. ; Ray, T.; Mandal, N.; Singh, M.: Tooth colored Dental Brackets and a process thereof. Submitted as: Indian Patent (Application No 201811029904, application date 09.08. 2018)
- Das, P.; Sarkar, M.: Eco-friendly alumina feedstock and process technology to develop micro ceramic injection moulded parts thereof. Submitted as: Indian Patent (Application No 201911003330, application date 28.01. 2019)
- Das, P.; Ray, T.; Sarkar, S.; Das, S.: Rheo Gravity die cast in-situ Al-15Mg2Si-4.5Si-0.01Sr-0.015B composite and an Automobile Brake disc cast thereof. Submitted as: Indian Patent (Application No 201911012127, application date 28.03. 2019)
KEYNOTE ADDRESS / INVITED LECTURES DELIVERED
01 (IIT (BHU), Varanasi) + 02 (NERIST, Arunachal Pradesh) + 01 (JIS Engg College, Kalyani) + 01 (Dumka Engg College, Jharkhand) + 01 (IIT Kgp, Kharagpur)+ 01 (KGEC, Kalyani) + 01 (Adhiyamaan Engg College, Tamil Nadu) + 01 (GMIT, Baruipur) + 01 (IIM Durgapur Chapter, Durgapur) +01 (SINP, Kolkata) + 01 (at LPU, Jalandhar) + 01 (NIIST, Trivandrum) + 01 (INSA, New Delhi)+ 01(Mysore Univ.) + 01(CSIR HQ.) + 01(IEI, Dgp) + 03 (CMERI) + 02(CVRCE, Bhubaneswar) + 01(Manipur Univ.)
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Indian Society for Heat and Mass Transfer (ISHMT) (ISHMT No. 733),
- Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) (Membership No. L26785),
- Material Research Society of India (MRSI) (Membership No. LMB2072),
- Indian Institute of Metals (IIM) (Membership No. DO1-LM01-50876),
- Indian Nuclear Society (INS) (Membership No. LM11047),
- Indian society for Advancement of materials and Processing Engineering (Membership No. L-1628),
- The Institute of Indian Foundrymen (Membership No. M/09973/E/CAL),
- Institution of Engineers India (IEI) (Membership No. M-1592335),
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) (former Student Membership No. 000100748365),
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) (former Student Membership No. 000015829006),
- Investment Casting Society India (Membership No. ICS /LM /110)
Summer Interns: 05, B.Tech: 04, M.Tech: 20, JRF/SRF/PA: 12, PhD: 4 ongoing (as Co-guide)