Surgical Oncology (AIIMS) MSc(University of Alberta)
ASTS fellowship in Abdominal Organ Transplantation
Alberta Innovation Health (AIHS) fellow
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
LinkedIn profile: http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/sonal-asthana/14/5a7/158
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- 2009-2011, Masters in Experimental Surgery, University of Alberta
- 2007-2009, ASTS Abdominal organ transplant fellowship (U of Alberta)
- 2002-2007, Surgical Training Rotation, UK
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- 1998-2002, Surgical Oncology residency
- Jawaharlal Institute for Postgraduate Medical Education &Research, (JIPMER) Puducherry
- 1994-1997, Masters in Surgery (Gen Surgery)-Surgical Residency
- 1988- 1992, MBBS (Bachelors in Medicine and Surgery)
- Clinical Lead, Hepatobiliary Surgery and Multiorgan Transplantation, Integrated Liver Care Team, Aster Group of Hospitals
- Honorary Consultant, Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute
- Committee Member, Jeevasarthakathe (Organ Allocation authority, Karnataka)
- Member, Apex Technical Committee, National Organ Tissue and Transplant Organization (NOTTO), Government of India.
- Course Director, National Organ Donation Workshop 2014- 2020.
- Convenor and Architect, Indian Liver Transplant Registry
- Founder Executive Member, Liver Transplant Society of India
HONOURS, AWARDS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Apex Technical Committee , National Organ Transplant and Tissue Organization (NOTTO) 2020
- BMJ Award South Asia for Excellence in Medical Education 2017.
- Lead faculty, Liver transplantation at Webmed central-online publication and education portal 2012.
- Liver Transplant & HPB Surgery Award. American Association for Study of liver disease (AASLD)2011.
- International Basic Science Mentee/Mentor Award, Transplantation Society, August 2010.
- European Health Leadership Program (INSEAD), Fontainebleau, France, June 2010.
- BMO Financial Group Graduate Scholarship, nominee, University of Alberta, 2010.
- Alberta Heritage Foundation of Medical Research Grant 2009
- Medawar medal session finalist, British Transplant Society, Edinburgh Mar 2006.
- Advanced Trauma and Life Support (ATLS) certification, Jan 2004.
- Advanced Cardiac life support certification (ACLS), Mar 2011.
- Clinical Fellowship award, International Association of Surgeons & Gastroenterologists (IASG), 2002.
- Commonwealth fellowship in Cancer research, Govt of India, Nominee 2002
RESEARCH INTERESTS – ACADEMIC AND TRANSLATIONAL
- Department of Materials Engineering, Indian Institute of Science -Working closely with Dr. Kaushik Chatterjee’s Team to develop functional multicomponent tumor and liver organoids. I have been involved with PhD presentations and discussions and have offered clinical support for the successful IRHPA grant on 3D Bio-Stereolithography for Engineering Functional Tissues.
- Pandorum Technologies Inc- clinical and advisory inputs into the development of a liquid cornea using novel biomaterials, and the use of cell derived EVs (exosomes) in clinical applications.
- Data Analytics- The Indian Liver Transplant Registry
Most Recent Publications(TOTAL -106; h-index: 19)
- Raichurkar K, Jacob M, Lochan R , Asthana S. The use of a 3-D printing model in planning a donor hepatectomy for living donor liver transplantation: first in India J Clin Exp Hepatol [Available online 19 August 2020]
- Saigal S, Gupta S, Sudhindran S, Goyal N, Rastogi A, Jacob M, Raja K, Ramamurthy A, Asthana S, Dhiman RK, Singh B, Perumalla R, Malik A, Shanmugham N, Soin AS. Liver transplantation and COVID-19 (Coronavirus) infection: guidelines of the liver transplant Society of India (LTSI). Hepatol Int. 2020;14(4):429-431. PMID 32270388
- Kundaragi NG, Asthana S, Reddy J, Lochan R. Hepatic arterial communicating arcades-Case series and review of literature. Indian J Radiol Imaging. 2019;29(4):462-467. PMID: 31949354
- Medappil N, Jacob M, Lochan R, et al. Kasai portoenterostomy for biliary atresia – Surgical precautions for better outcomes. J Pediatr Surg. 2019;54(4):868-869. PMID: 30580834
- Jacob M, Saif R, Reddy J, Medappil N, Asthana S, Lochan R. Extreme large-for-size syndrome after adult liver transplantation: A model for predicting a potentially lethal complication. Liver Transpl. 2018;24(3):442-443. PMID: 29266684